Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Naughty Nuri's Restaurant, Singapore and Capitol Theatre

01-84 Capitol Piazza,
11 Stamford Rd, 
01-84, 
Singapore 178884

After dined at the Naughty Nuri's in KL, Malaysia, i said we were going to try the recently opened Naughty Nuri's in Singapore when we returned, i didn't expect so soon. Maybe because we can't wait.


 The Place 
While the address suggests it's located in Capitol Piazza, it's really located inside or next to Capitol Theatre. Perhaps, the area inside Capitol Theatre building complex next to the actual theatre is Capitol Piazza (which i thought refers to the mall situated below street level).

I have walked past Capitol Theatre building quite a number of times and took a few photos of its exterior, but had never actually gone inside to look (which is so unlike me. I must be busy. I'll stick that excuse if i'm questioned in court).


Fountain, Capitol Theatre, Singapore

Fountain, Capitol Theatre, Singapore

Night time, Capitol Theatre, Singapore Night time, Capitol Theatre, Singapore
Fountain, Capitol Theatre, Singapore

Back in the days (of 1930s), it was one of the largest cinema in Singapore. In the 1980s, it had been done up nicely. Although it was penciled by Singapore Tourism Board to turn it into an arts house, but that didn't work out. Today, this area is filled with hip restaurants for hungry (or naughty) foodie, and Naughty Nuri's is one.

Architecture of the interiors consist of plain whitewash walls, quiet elegant lines, and simple window doors designs. Quite easy on the eyes.

Interior, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore
Capitol Theatre and Piazza

Interior, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore Interior, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore

Interior, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore

Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore
Naughty Nuri's

Comparing to the KL's franchise, this Singapore outlet is a more upmarket version. Instead of their trademarked pigs embodied in figurines, their likeness were captured in paintings here. Astro-Babe and Miss Mona Piggy is a quite tasteful (dunno if it's tasty, probably rich in turpentine). Don't forget the Flying Pig (at least their ribs are flying out of their kitchen). You look so cute and lovely, i want to eat you.

I've some questions for the pigs.

Painting, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore
Are you wearing cow's leather?
Painting, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore
Have i seen you somewhere before?
The Louvre, perhaps?
Painting, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore
Forgot your space helmet and suit?

 The Food 
Bill, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore



Pork Rib Half Rack:  9 / 10.
Of course, you can't skip their signature dish. This is the reason diners flock to this place. It's just as tender and juicy as the KL's restaurant. The Singapore kitchen understands that some customers would find the spared ribs a bit on the sweet side, and so it's served with a lemon. The lemon juice does reduce the sweetness if you don't have sweet tooth. Because of this, it earns a higher score than i gave the KL's outlet.

Spare Rib, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore


Deep-Fried Pig Ears:  8 / 10.
I've a weakness for pig ears in Chinese style, which is stir-fried. I've never seen a deep-fried version, perhaps this is a Balinese style. When Ada told me about this dish, I pricked up my ears like a puppy. It was music to my ears, and made me grin from ear to ear. I hope i haven't talked your ear off about ear (it's ok, you still got one left).

I don't drink (anymore), which is a shame. This dish (deep-fried or stir-fried) is perfect to accompany alcohol. I still prefer the Chinese version. This is nice too for a change of taste.

Nice and crispy. Eat quickly before it goes soft.

Deep-Fried Pig Ears, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore


Soup Buntut (Oxtail Soup):  7.5 / 10.
I enjoy oxtail soup so much i cook it at home from time to time by popular demand (from Ada). Here's my oxtail soup recipe. I have to say i like mine much better. I would give myself a 9 / 10. Of course, i'm extremely biased. (I shouldn't talk like that. I know you can't see it, trust me, i'm slapping my face quite hard repeatedly right now). Perhaps, theirs is more like a soup while mine is more like a stew, which explains its difference in the depth of richness.

This soup's flavour is a bit subdued. But the meat isn't bad, still retains some of its juice and tenderness.

I would give it a 9.5 / 10 for its price. For $8.50, that's about what i paid for the oxtail this size in Cold Storage. I'm quite sure they get a good deal from their supplier. If you enjoy oxtail soup as much as i do, you should try this (as i won't open a restaurant selling my oxtail stew anytime soon). You probably can't buy it at this price (unless they're on sales, which is usually the time i make my oxtail stew for 4 or 5 servings).

Oxtail soup, Naughty Nuri's, Capitol Theatre and Piazza, Singapore



No comments:

Post a Comment