Friday, 15 April 2016

Loboc River Lunch Cruise, Bohol

For lunch, we boarded a cruise down Loboc River in Bohol Island. While I'm never big on river cruise (I don't like water), so I thought this was as good as anywhere for lunch.

Palm trees, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Kowtowing palms that you come to expect in Philippines line the riverbanks

The river is lined with dense tropical vegetation just as I expected. I talk like this, as you would gather because I don't like greenery. I guess I'm just not a nature guy. But life always throws a surprise at me. I didn't expect that it turned out to be a relaxing experience that I actually enjoyed. That was weird. What's that about? Perhaps, the moral of the story is: When life hands you a mango, grab it gently. If you grab it too hard, you make a mess of yourself. I'm excluding those who enjoy making a mess of themselves. Yes, you. You know who you are.

Pinoy food, Bohol, Philippines
Local lunch fare

The lunch grub was nicer than anything I've eaten in Manila, excluding Pinoy food. I guess Filipinos aren't skillful in imitating Asian food. They only good at making authentic Pinoy food. Their American food is decent (What a surprise. Forgive me for rolling my eyes up).

The lunch is delish. Maybe I was hungry. I went for 3rd. It doesn't happen often. I eat breakfast like a queen, eat lunch like a pauper (I suspect pauper would eat a lot because they're so hungry. But in this saying, it's supposed to mean eat little). There's no meal where I eat like Henry VIII. Have you seen him eat? I mean in period drama movies. I imagine he had quite an appetite. One wife wasn't enough for him, but the Pope denied him of taking another wife, and so he created Church of England just so that he could enter into the institution of polygamy. Just like me today, he went for a 3rd.

King takes queens, checkmate, Pope!

It's good to be the king...




Is that a dead fly on the king's face or I have a smutty monitor?

I know, I know. He isn't Henry 8th, he's Louis 16th. He isn't English, he's French. This is Versailles, not Greenwich Palace. Same diff. Tomayto, tomarto. Let's call the whole thing off.



Sorry for the brief (de)tour to European history. I'm back to Loboc River from the edge of reaching for a bottle (of cough syrup) on the edge of a mantel.

This gives you some idea of the number of lunch cruises operating and the rush-hour traffic on river Loboc


Kid standing on a tree branch, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Kids swimming, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Common scene of kids jumping off from tops of trees into Loboc river.
Sometimes they jumped and narrowly missed in front of the boats just for the thrills of it


Kids hang on boar for joyride, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Some kids hang onto the side of boat for a joyride. One kid is swimming towards our boat for his joyride.

Double outrigger canoe, Philippines
Double outrigger canoe that are commonly seen in the Philippines (originated in Polynesian cultures).
Pinoy culture has a large cultural melting pot.


Hut, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
The pavilion with the thatched roof is going to the the semi-outdoor theatre providing us with entertainment
that I wasn't aware, and it was a pleasant surprise.


Floating stage, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
The covered outdoor performance stage is a floating platform supported by empty metal drums


Live performance, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
I hope they only perform during lunch time and go back to school afterwards.
Don't forget to drop your money into the donation box. They need these money for school tuition (if they go to school at all).





Pinoy kids performing tinikling, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
The local folk dance of tinikling is always is crowd-pleaser for tousists (or locals alike)





Pinoy guitars, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Locally made guitars. I believe they're for sales.



Young Pinay performer, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
A Pinay dancer with lovely dimpled smile.


waterfall, double outrigger canoe, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
It appears that some tourists are exploring the river by canoe. I imagine there's such tour for the little more adventurous.


Dogs, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Look doc, four dogs at Loboc !

Leaning hut, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
The Leaning Stilt House of Loboc.
Or is it trying to walk to another location? Mobile home?
Maybe it just tries to take a drink of the water...
Mayday! Mayday! We have another runaway home!
Stilted house designed by Antoni Gaudí ?
Eavesdropping on the neighour?
Oh man, I took 2 shots and now I'm feeling woozy...

Catamarans, Lunch river cruises, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines
Row of covered catamarans that operate lunch cruises just like the one I was on,
and the tug boats that towed them into their places


"I love Loboc" sign, Loboc River, Bohol, Philippines


What can I say? Nice lunch, cool breeze, plenty of greenery to refresh the eyes, and other stuff to keep the eyes busy. Overall, a very pleasant way to spend a lazy lunch time.



No comments:

Post a Comment