Wednesday, 17 February 2016

Ayala Triangle Park with Festival of Lights

 Lights in the Triangle 
I heard about Ayala Triangle because it's only some 15 mins walk (you probably can manage in 7) from Fraser Place where I stayed. You can't miss it on the map. But I didn't plan to visit it tonight. I had a Japanese dinner nearby and unaware of its proximity to Ayala Triangle.

As I left the restaurant to go back to my hotel, I saw some bright lights and faint music in the distance about a city block away. I decided to investigate further. I had my baby with me (her name is Canon 750D. When I leave her in my car for the casino, I always crack a window. Although she's heavy, she's quite talented. I hate to brag).

If you like public Christmas decors and displays, Manila is a best place in Asia. After all, 80% of the population is Catholic (and 90% are Christian).

There're a few other large-scale public Xmas displays around Manila, I think this is the largest, at least in Makati. If you like this sort of thing and happen to be around Makati, and you must feed your hungry Instagram feed 3 times a day, drop in the Triangle. My baby is hungry, I must feed it! Click! Click! Click! Chomp! Chomp! Chomp!


Festival of Lights, Christmas display, ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Festival of Lights

Festival of Lights, Christmas display, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines

Festival of Lights, Christmas display, Makati, Manila, Philippines




What I also discovered was that Filipinos have created their unique traditional designs of various Xmas displays. I find them to be quite eye-catching and pleasing to the eyes.

One of such unique design is the paról (comes from Spanish word farol for lantern), the Pinoy version of Star of Bethlehem lantern.

Parol, Christmas display, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
This beautiful paról lantern can be seen everywhere in the Philippines during the Xmas season

Parol, Christmas display, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Paról lanterns decorated Paseo de Roxas

I also found some interesting and also uniquely Pinoy Xmas display inside Tower One Philippines Exchange Plaza that's located inside Ayala Triangle as shown in the 2 photos below. And I also discovered that Filipinos also has a love for paper-cuts as much as the Chinese,  Poles and a couple of her neighbours).

Christmas display, Philippines Exchange Plaza, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines Christmas display, Philippines Exchange Plaza, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines


Nativity scene, Light installation during Xmas season, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Nativity scene just outside Tower One Philippines Exchange Plaza

There's also a stage and seating outside Tower One Philippines Exchange Plaza where caroling and other typical Christmas performances were carried out.


 Avenue of Lights 
on the traffic islands of Ayala Ave alongside Ayala Triangle park, you'll find shimmering light installations of cathedrals during this season.

Light installation during Xmas season, Ayala Ave, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Ayala Ave at Ayala Triangle Park

Light installation during Xmas season, Ayala Ave, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines

Light installation during Xmas season, Ayala Ave, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines


Sign, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines

Pedestrian tunnel below Paseo de Roxas, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Pedestrian tunnel below Paseo de Roxas to Ayala Triangle park entrance

Now that I had stumbled into the mysterious Ayala Triangle where many tourists get lost at night, I decided to check it out the next day for the source of the power (for the electrical lights). Why not? It's less than 15 mins walk from the aforementioned hotel on paragraph 1 of this article.


 Triangular Business Affairs
Manila is a sprawling metro without an obvious CBD like some cities. Ayala Triangle is such business development to bring large mutli-nationals into one place. I supposed that Pinoy business like the shape of triangle. There's another CBD triangle in the Benefacio Global City area being developed. I saw it during one of my hotel shuttle ride.

Do you know that there's a statue marks each of the 3 points of the triangle of the park?

Sultan Kudarat, statue, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Sultan Kudarat, statue, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Sultan Kudarat by Jose Menoza (1973)

It always strikes a casual tourist that the Philippines is interestingly confusing, suggesting its underlying complex and meandering history that contains clashes, followed by harmonisation of civilisations. Case in point, while the sultan is one of the founding father of the Philippines, today the country is more Christian than any country on earth (far more so than any country in the West. Amen to that).


General Pio del Pilar orchestrates a battle

The statue of General Pilar is actually outside the Triangle. I didn't visit the other 2 statues at the other 2 corners of the Triangle. Maybe one day (in my next reincarnation as a Filipino. There's only 10% chance of that happening because 90% of Filipinos are Christian).


SE Countries have a love for topiary, and the Philippines is no exception.

Zuellig Building, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Topiary, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Left:  the shimmering Zuellig Building (150m tall, 42 floors. Who's counting?)

joggers, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
No sweat...

security guards, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Very cool...

Fukien tea, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Wait, don't go any where. I'll come back with some water and drink you, Carmona Retusa!
This is also called Philippine tea tree. I wonder why they don't use that name instead.
It's used in this country to treat various ailments such as cough, diarrhea, etc

The note-worth thing to see in the park is the heritage Nielson Tower. It was the terminal for the country's 1st commercial airport opened in 1937. Today, it's Black Bird restaurant.

Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Superman:  Is it a bird? Is it a plane?
Me:  It ain't you!  It's an air control tower. You were born in 1933. 4 years earlier.
BlackBird Sign, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines Dining area, Interior, Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, PhilippinesManila International Air Terminal, Artwork, Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines

Momento, lobby, Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines

Dining area, Interior, Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Dining area of Black Bird restaurant
Lobby entrance, Nielson Tower, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Lobby entrance of Nielson Tower
Ayala gardens, Ayala Triangle Park, Makati, Manila, Philippines
A corner of Ayala Gardens

Jeepneys, Makati, Manila, Philippines
Jeepneys on Makati Ave



No comments:

Post a Comment