Tuesday, 29 December 2015

Yummy Viet Vietnamese Restaurant

Yummy Viet
28 Smith St
Singapore 058942

I've been hunting down for a genuine imitation Vietnamese restaurants since I've been living in Singapore for the last 6 years. The hunt had been a hit and miss affair (mostly misses). Because of repeated disappointment, I have almost given up. I decided to give this one a try because Groupon voucher was available ($10 voucher for $20 food). That way, the low cost buffers any pain of disappointment.


 The Place 
It's located in Smith St. If you're tourists, this is better known as Chinatown Food Street. Most shops here are small and cosy. I was there during a weekday afternoon, and so it's quiet. I imagine they would be busy other times.

 The Food 



Beef Noodles with Briskets (Phở Bo Nam):  8.5 / 10 Since this was my 1st visit, I always consider pho would be a benchmark for the general standard of the restaurant. If they couldn't pull off the soup, I would be hesitant to try something else.

They didn't have my  2 fave additional toppings for their beef noodles : tripes and tendons. They do have beef balls , but I don't have good encounter with beef balls in Singapore, so I chose brisket. I should've just stuck with beef only. Their briskets were dry. Soup and rice noodles were good.

The greens are sparing, but at least they come with traditional sauces of BBQ and chili paste for the meat, which is a nice authentic touch. Most Vietnamese restaurants in Singapore don't provide that.

Beef Noddle, Yummy Viet, Singapore


Sugarcane Prawns: 7.5 / 10
One important characteristics of Vietnamese cuisine is the generous healthy serving of salads that go with the various dishes. Perhaps because of the cost of veggies in Singapore, or other reasons, side salads are either pathetically tiny that usually caused me to laugh derisively or shake my head disapprovingly (depending on my mood). This isn't a comment directed at this restaurant, but all Singapore's Vietnamese restaurants that I've been to thus far (more than 8 or 10).

This sugarcane prawns are supposed to be wrapped in lettuce, bean sprouts and mint (and sometimes carrot or turnip strips), and then dipped in fish sauce. It isn't quite the same without the salad greens. The content is slightly soft, but does have adequate prawn taste.

Their photos (on the menu as well as online) shows 3 sugarcane prawns in their serving, only 2 came out. Had one got way?

Sugarcane prawns, Yummy Viet, Singapore


Fried Spring Rolls: 7 / 10
Bit bland and hard. And like the sugarcane prawns, this dish should come with a generous serving of salad greens for the wrapping. Their salads are served more as a decoration rather than healthy substance for the body.


Fried spring rolls, Yummy Viet, Singapore


Cold Coffee: 9 / 10
This is the best way to wash down the Vietnamese food (either this or coconut juice served in its shell). It's the best drop of Vietnamese coffee roast I've had in a Vietnamese restaurant in Singapore. The only other time I had better cup was in Trung Nguyen Café.

I asked for less condensed milk. For those who don't have a sweet tooth, you should do the same.

Coffee, Yummy Viet, Singapore



Overall Score: 8 / 10
Unless you go to eat in Vietnamese restaurants in Sydney, Vietnam or Paris (in that order), as far as Singapore is concerned, this comes as close to authentic Vietnamese as I have tried. This renews my hope for further search of authentic yummy Vietnamese restaurants.

Good enough to come back to try my other fave dishes in their menu like Shrimp Noodle Soup (Bun Rieu), Spicy Beef Noodle Soup (Bun Bo Hue), and Stew Beef. And Ada has her favourites too, like their baguettes with different fillings. The presence of these traditional must-have dishes also suggest a case for authentic Viet food.

We have already bought another Groupon voucher for the return.



No comments:

Post a Comment