Saturday, 24 October 2015

Sichuan Day 3: Regimen Massage in ChengDu


After scaling Mount Emei the whole day, I was so bushed (should it be "mountained"?) My body needed some urgent maintenance at a convenient body shop if it was to be put into operations again.
I asked Millennium Hotel's in Chengdu reception for recommendations, they suggested Regimen Massage (their Chinese name is Yushou Gouyi (御手國醫), which means Imperial Hand Physician.

"Regimen" isn't a word you would normally came across. This word is has roots in ancient Greek medicine. In China, you would come across it often, and is used in association with TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). Specifically, the word is synonymous with "Yangsheng" (养生), meaning extending life. Regimen includes a regiment of diet, exercises, and last but not least, massage.

This place, like many TCM clinics, has many services from acupuncture to cupping. Although I only want and believe in massage.


The Place
I had never heard of this place. I was desperate, and would try anything. I found out later that they're quite popular. At least in Chengdu where there're 6 cutlets.

It was quite close to the hotel and less than 8 mins walk (the hotel reception desk printed out a map of the location. Only it's the wrong address. I took some walking around to find out their current. I think they gave me an old address).

(Click to enlarge)

They're on 2nd floor. 1st floor is unoccupied and looked slightly dingy. It was not until I got to the 2nd floor that it looked more like a decent upmarket joint.


China Regimen, Chengdu, Sichuan, China


The Massage
Like many Chinese restaurant menus, their massage menu also contains some colourful, mysterious but unhelpful names.

I ordered the Spring Autumn (春秋). Its description sounded like a classical deep-tissue massage.

I asked to make a booking beforehand, but the hotel concierge said no need. I had to wait for 40 mins for the next available staff. Fortunately, you can wait in your own room with TV.

I was surprised when a masseur turned up for 2 reasons.
1. In Singapore, or HK, I haven't yet came across masseurs, only masseuses.
2. When I arrived, I saw a few masseuses walking around.

On 2nd thought, it shouldn't have came as a surprise because I know that in China, masseurs are quite common, and I had been massages by masseurs in my previous China trip.

Blind person massage is also popular in China, but that's a different story.

The massage is reasonably strong, and the technique is good. For extra ¥30 (from memory), you can ask for a more senior technician (their jargon, not mine), according to their menu.

The massage I had was ¥285 for 100 mins. This was promotional price. I think it cost around ¥380 normally.

It's certainly well worth the price if you don't mind or insisting to be worked on by masseur.

After I paid the bill, the receptionist asked me to drop a wooden piece with the masseur's number carved on it into one of the 3 boxes that marked "Good", "Fair" and "Unsatisfactory". I dropped it into the "Good" box. This makes the worker accountable for his/her level of standard.



No comments:

Post a Comment