Thursday, 6 August 2015

SG50 Awareness Promotional Displays

I don't know the official names for these posters that dotted around Singapore to promote the awareness of SG50, so I'll call them SG50 Awareness Promotional Campaign posters/cutouts/displays. My guess is probably not far off the mark.

I thought I snapped them as I came across them, and by SG100, some will find my photos here nostalgic (if Singapore survives. According to the upbeat and rather likable* and internationally renown professor Kishore Mahbubani, Singapore will be a success in SG100 if they don't take their success for granted).

* I like him anyway. I'm quite happy for him to marry my daughter. He's married already? Phew! I dodge a bullet there, I don't have a daughter.

Without further ado (but I love to ado, especially about nothing), here they're.


Orchard Road

SG50 promotional display, Singapore


SG50 promotional display, Singapore

SG50 promotional display, Singapore

SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore
SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore


A Little Park in Tanjong Pagar (Vanished/Vamishing Traditional Icons of Yesterdays)


SG50 promotional display, Singapore


SG50 promotional display, Singapore
I'm from Samsui (or Sanshui) village in China,
I help to build Singapore, literally with my physical labour.
I wear red headscarf, but I don't wear rouge.
SG50 promotional display, Singapore
I bring lunchboxes that contain Nonya cooking for
my hubby in the property developer office.
Yes, I sometimes wear rouge. I'm lady of social upstanding.

SG50 promotional display, Singapore
My customers used to be mostly locals. Only tourists are
my customers now. We used to fill the streets, now there're
less than 10 of us in Singapore. Hang on..8, No, 6 of us now.
SG50 promotional display, Singapore
I used to hawk my food on the street, now I sell it in
hawker centres, and get a NEA rating for my business.
You want 2 beef, and 2 chicken? Only takeaway...

SG50 promotional display, Singapore
They called me by many names: silver sister (银姐),
amah (阿嬤), milk mother (奶妈) or wet nurse.
I sworn a vow of celibacy. I came from Canton in China.
Now, maids come from other countries as well.




SG50 promotional display, Singapore
I used to perform on the streets. Later I performed only
on stage. Soon, I'm afraid I'll join the icons from the past and
is seen no more. Ayayayayaya...


Good or bad, these vanishing / vanished colourful traditional peoples is the result of economic progress in Singapore in the last 50 years.


Outside My HDB Flats

SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore
SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore SG50 promotional display, Singapore


On the Road

SG50 promotional display, Singapore
Wait for me, SG50!

Marvelous! Happy birthday Singapore!



No comments:

Post a Comment