Friday, 10 July 2015

T3 Departure Area, Singapore Changi Airport

Here I'm, Changi Aiport. What's new? Plenty, you say? Show me the stuff!

Taxi drop-offs outside Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Taxi drop-offs outside Departure Hall

First off, a couple of displays just in front of the Departure Gate at T3, Changi Airport, sponsored by Uzbekistan Airways and Changi Airport. I see...any more?

Uzbekistan display, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Uzbekistan display, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore

While I was chowing down some chicken congee and wash it down with a cappuccino in the Singapore airline lounge in T3, I looked over the railings and saw a few koi ponds down below. Checked the flight info and found out that the flight was delayed by 45 mins. With all that extra time to kill, I thought I checked out the koi ponds first.

Singapore SilverKrisLounge, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Singapore SilverKris Lounge

When I got down from the lounge, I could tell that there's no way to get to the koi ponds. What I saw, like a mirage in the airport, was located in the transit area (mirage = transit). So close yet so far. It makes sense because all these more elaborate gardens are located in the transit area. For passengers to enjoy while they get stuck in the airport waiting for their connected flights. They have more time to kill, in general.

Koi Ponds, Transit Area, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Aerial view of Koi Ponds as seen from SilverKris Lounge

Koi Ponds, TRansit Area, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Koi ponds in Transit area of T3

I decided to walk around T3 Departure Area to get to know her better. Like a mysterious oriental woman, despite the many times I had gone through her, there's still something I have yet seen. Some areas are of course, off limits. After all, it's the biggest (and the best) airport in the world (finally without a close equal when HKIA seems to throw in the towel by handing the baton to Shenzhen Airport). Changi Airport didn't rest on her laurels, and sits on her hands.

No sitting and resting for Changi Airport, on the other hand (or is it foot?), it's time for me to sit on my hands and had my legs tenderised by these OSIM foot massage machines that scattered all over the airport. You wouldn't need to look too far for it. It's a dime a dozen. No, you don't need to have a dime to operate it. It's free.

Most of the time I wouldn't have the leisure. If I'm arriving home, one would want to get home ASAP. If one is catching a flight, you don't usually plan early to use the massage machines. The exception is plane delay.

To start my walkabout the airport, what's better way than to start with a leg massage first? (Of course, it works equally well if you do it at the end of the walkabout).

OSIM foot massage machine, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Legsie of foot massage
OSIM foot massage machine, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
What a big airport should look like...departures vanishing into the horizon...

Some passengers from a far-flung lands looked at me curiously, wondering what's the contraption was. A passing English-speaking prepubescent teen told his parents excitedly about this oriental therapeutic gadget that I was stuck in. Are our kids growing up too soon? Perhaps, he gets around. I didn't know about it until I was in my mid 20s. A 50 years old woman from USA was bewildered by it, and said, "What do they think of next!"

Even before entering the airport, there were displays aplenty for SG50 event on my way to T3. Naturally, more of these inside T3 Departure Area, to celebrate the Singapore Jubilee. They're the Singaporean cultural icons.

Bumboat topiary exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Explanation board, Bumboat topiary exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Explanation board, Chilli Crab exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Chilli Crab exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Satay skewers exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Explanation board, Satay skewers exhibit, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore


The above are temporary exhibits, but there're permanent displays that are found here and there.

Sculpture, pair of golden wings, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
"I do believe I can fly" - R. Kelly.
"Three steps to Heaven" - Eddie Cochran.
"Changi gives me wings!" - Sorry Red Bull.

Along the side of the long travelators are the green gardens called Pier Gardens, If you look closely at them, some of them are occupied - staged I should say - by fantastical green musical talented frogs, playing various instrument.

Pier Garden, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Pier Garden, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore
Pier Garden, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore Pier Garden, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore


This is one of the "secret formula" of the airport's success. Everything could be rated by airport visitors, from the staff who stamps your passports to the toilets, and even these gardens. Talk about applying the principle of "customer is always right".

Suggestion feedback, Pier Garden, Departure Hall, T3, Changi Airport, Singapore


I think I'm just that much more acquainted with this airport.



No comments:

Post a Comment