Wednesday, 10 June 2015

SEA Games Carnival in Sports Hub

Stadium MRT station, Sports Hub, Singapore
Stadium MRT station
I'm not into following sport events. But I realise that SEA Games organiser wants to bring the party vibe into the Sports Hub where the SEA Games is being held at the moment by throwing a SEA Games Carnival.

Even without the SEA Games, I would like to have a look at the completed Sports Hub anyway. I actually went there when they completed last year almost to the day.  It turned out to be a memorable experience, which was recorded in the Misadventure of My 1st Visit to Singapore Sports Hub.

I decided to take this opportunity of SEA Games Carnival to have a closer look at the spanking new Sports Hub. Not across Nicoll Highway as I did in my 1st visit (or failed visit).

I could go there by the same route as I went the last time via Kallang MRT station, and I'm quite sure that cursed replacement overpass would have been built by now. But I didn't want to relive/revisit that memory lane. So I took the train to Stadium MRT station on CC Line, which takes longer, but far more comfy.  More importantly, the risk of a heat stroke while I'm on my way there in a MRT ride is quite minimal.

I arrived at Stadium station nice and refresh after a power snooze on the MRT.

More than anything, I suspect that for many attendees, the activity that I was looking forwards was the hot-air balloon ride. Even though I'm considerably over 1.4m tall, I tried to dampen my enthusiasm as I know that getting on it is probably tougher than climbing the Mount Everest. I went straight to the UnionPay info booth to ask about the ride. I was told it was fully booked for the day. That's ok, I have mentally prepared for such a disappointing answer. My mind was swiftly put to rest.

That's quite honky dory. There're plenty to see (and do if you bring your kids, and shop if you bring your cash).

There's many activities designed for the kiddies. Apparently, you don't have to be Jesus Christ or wuxia martial artist to walk on water. While you can do this with science, it's actually not so easy. It's because you're not walking on clear water, but white muddy water. Expect to get really messy. Better to wear white unless you don't mind turning your red shirt into white as demonstrated by the kid in the photo below. Or better still, get a change of clothes if you want to do your personal historic walk on water.


Walk-On-Water, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore

Walk-On-Water, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore
It seems to be quite a struggle simply to stand straight without falling flat on your face.
Walking effortlessly on water the 1st time would be quite a miraculous feet (sorry, feat).

A great activity for the whole family is zorb bowling. Usually zorbing involves a sphere, but that's more for rolling down a hill. For supposedly a zorb pretending to be a bowling ball striking a roll of pins, cylindrical zorb would be easier.

Zorbing, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore
Rolling zorb gathers long queue

For a less strenuous activity, you can take photos with these beauties from the Orient in cosplay (is it correct to call it cosplay?).


Cosplay artist, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, SingaporeCosplay artist, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore Cosplay artist, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore


Cosplay artist, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore



Or this giant French guy (is it a French guy? Dunno).

Cosplay artist, SEA Games Carnival, Sports Hub, Singapore


While the Sports Hub have been opened in 30 June 2014 (my 1st failed visit was only a few weeks before this official opening), and some high-profiled sport events like WTA Finals had already broken it in, but this SEA Games is the 1st largest sport event to hit this place. Unlike the previous high-profile sport event, the SEA Games makes use of almost all the facilities of the Sports Hub.

The SEA Games Cauldron is a graceful slender looking flame torch, which supposed to resemble a DNA helical structure. It's nicely positioned between the waterfront and Kallang Wave.

SEA Games Cauldron, Torch, Sports Hub, Singapore SEA Games Cauldron, Torch, Sports Hub, Singapore SEA Games Cauldron, Torch, Sports Hub, Singapore


Kallang Wave Stadium, and Torch, Sports Hub, Singapore
Pièce de résistance of Sports Hub: the Stadium and the Torch

View of Marina Bay, Sports Hub, Singapore
View towards Marina Bay from the Torch

National flags, SEA Games, Sports Hub, Singapore
National flags of members of SEA Games.
Wind blowing in 2 directions are causing some flags flying left and other flying right.

As parents, you may be more interested in shopping SEA Games souvenirs for the kiddies. You can choose your designs to be printed on your shirts.

Souvenir shirts, SEA Games, Sports Hub, Singapore Souvenir stall, SEA Games, Sports Hub, Singapore

If you like Nila the SEA Games mascot, there's no escape from him (it looks like a he, but sounds like a she. Nilo would sound like a he and a cocoa drink. Can't win.)

Nila, SEA Games mascot, Sports Hub, Singapore Nila, SEA Games mascot, Sports Hub, SingaporeNila, SEA Games mascot, Sports Hub, Singapore

Nila, SEA Games mascot, Sports Hub, Singapore
Getting a friendly wave at Kallang Wave. Hiya to you too!

While I didn't get to do the hot-air balloon ride (and spread my arm outstretched like diCaprio in Titanic), still lots of things to keep my eyeballs and fingers busy. All for free on your free day. Lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment