Sunday, 15 March 2015

Singapore Red Cross International Bazaar 2015

I read about the upcoming Red Cross International Bazaar, which would be filling with food stalls that sold international food. So I turned up hoping of filling my stomach with multiculturalism. Well, there were some food, but much less than I expected.

The bazaar did sell many bizarre international thing, including Star Wars weapons, I think. But I'm no Star Wars weapons experts. You will soon understand why I come to this conclusion. But where's the light-sabre? Or better known to layman like me as the thingy with a light tube attaches at the end of it and you hum along while wielding it.

Star Wars weapons, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar
Star Wars weapons
Poster, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
If you look at this poster, you'll see that the President of Singapore
is going to be the guest of honour.

Disappointed about the food situation, I went down to B2 of Ngee Ann City for some chow. By the way, the bazaar is hosted in Civic Plaza just in front of Ngee Ann City (the biggest brown marble clad building on Orchard Road. Honestly, I don't like the look of that building. Looks better without the granite and marble. Takashimaya also lives there).

After a quick Singaporean lunch of laksa, I came back up to the Bazaar. As I approached the main entrance of Ngee Ann City, I saw 2 columns of people lining the door. I was overwhelmed by the reception. Is this all for me? But it's not my birthday today...It took me a full 20 mins to figure out that they weren't there for me (ok, I exaggerated. It was 19 mins).

The scene was quite easily mistaken for a Star Wars Convention as the various far far away and far out galactic characters lined the sides of the entrance. And the vanishing points of these 2 columns of people looks like the opening crawl of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. You know "A long time ago  in a galaxy far far away...", followed by symphonic orchestral music of the Star Wars theme.


Star Wars characters Reception, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015 Star Wars characters Reception, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Star Wars characters Reception, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015 Star Wars characters Reception, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015

Whoever they were welcoming was so important that he/she united the good guys Jedi knights (and Knightess and Knightlet), Rebel Pilot with the Empire's baddies Storm Troopers, Imperial Royal Guards (red helmet and cape), etc, standing shoulder to shoulder, mixing with some Earthlings, mostly from the Republic of Singapore. There were also Humaan (in Farangi Speak) from the other parts of the 3rd Rock from the Sun.

We didn't wait long before the VIP appeared. But you know it already as I dropped a big clue above with the guest of honour of this event.

President of Singapore, Star Wars characters Reception, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
President of Singapore

The Star Wars reception was for the President of Singapore (it was a good 19 mins while it lasted). I know what some of you are going to say, "isn't Singapore the coolest country on planet earth?" Yes, I agree, except that it's so darn hot and humid. It's like living on Mercury. That's why the President wore a Peranakan batik shirt (which is very cool, in both sense of the word). Unlike the suits of his entourage, which looks hot (in just one sense of the word)!

After the galactic reception for the president of the Republic,  it was time for photos with your fave Star Wars characters. Remember, don't use the Force, use the shutter button. You're not a Jedi knight. Your teacher is a yoga instructor, not Yoda. And he has plastic surgery, not rubber face.


Star Wars characters, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015 Star Wars Stormtrooper, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015

Phew! So glad I'm out of this helmet. All I can hear is my own heavy
breathing, and I began to think Darth Vader's head is inside this helmet (or inside my head).

the Red Cross pupil, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Red Cross pupils
Red Cross volunteer, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Red Cross volunteers


Some of the stalls / stands I could see at the bazaar.

Bazaar's stand, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
The calorie carousel
Bazaar's stand, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Thai arts and craft (see more here)
Bazaar's stand, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Japanese souvenirs
Bazaar's stand, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Ukrainian sweets (read it any way you like)

The President was here to watch the stage performance of international variety.

Rehearsal, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Some last minutes rehearsal off stage

President of Singaproe, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
President, Dr. Tan, watched the performance

As the president is a busy man, he stayed only for a few performances. After he left, I took over his seat (no kidding). I had been eyeing for that presidential seat for a long time.


Thai folk dance, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Thai folk dance
Mexican folk dance, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Mexican folk dance
Kung fu kid, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Kung fu kids
Expat girls dance, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Expat girls (and 1 lucky boy) doing modern dance
Flamenco dance, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Spanish folk dance (flamenco)
Burmese dance, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Burmese folk dance (9000 apologies if I confuse Thai for Burmese)
Christian Choir, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Gospel choir
Piano player, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Organ player for the church choir

spiderman, Singapore International Red Cross Bazaar 2015
Spiderman posed for my photo

Spiderman moonlighted to hand out pamphlets for the SIRCB event. Aman, sorry, Amen to that!

And I thought I just turned up for food.



No comments:

Post a Comment