Sunday, 8 February 2015

Free Things to Do at Sentosa: Merlion Walk


After the trip we spent on Mount Faber in he morning, we took the cable car to get to Sentosa where we spent the rest of the afternoon.

I didn't plan the itinerary in Sentosa as well as I should, not quite sure what Ada's dad would prefer to do. So it was a matter of playing by the ear, meaning I would make some suggestions as to what to see, and I'll listen closely to his feedback.



After got off the cable car at the Imbiah Lookout, needless to say, the giant Merlion loomed atop Merlion Plaza. Naturally, I asked if everyone was interested to see the Merlion as we were quite close by, and it's free to see. Everyone seemed agreeable to it, and my job as tour guide (or as Ada's dad would refer me to his friend the "blind man's cane" = 盲公竹) was done for our next destination.

I had seen this Sentosa Merlion before (the largest of the 5 official Merlions in Singapore) when I played the blind man's cane to my brother and and his wife in their last visit last year. Last time, we approached this Merlion from below by climbing the stairs up from Merlion Plaza. When we got to the front of the Merlion, we turned around, and totally missed the Merlion Walk in the back of the Merlion. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

This time we approached the Merlion from the side and climbing down from the Imbiah Lookout and actually saw this Merlion Walk entrance.

Entrance to Merlion Walk, Sentosa, Singapore
Entrance to Merlion Walk connecting to Imbiah Lookout

This time, I actually walked behind the Merlion and discovered the Merlion Walk. I imagine children would love this fantastic sprawling sculpture of imaginative mythological sea creatures that snakes the whole length of the walk. It made from colourful mosaic tiles.

When I saw it, the name Antoni Gaudí immediate sprung to mind. I had little doubt that this work is strongly influenced by the Spanish genius architect, whose work I admired a lot. I suspect many other artists whose works also influenced by Gaudí including world renown contemporary architect Frank Gehry to Hollywood director Tim Burton with organic, undulating and tendril lines that dominate their works.


Photo source: wikimedia.org
User:B%C3%B6hringer
Photo source: wikimedia.org
Benutzer:Baikonur

Both of the photos above show some of the sculpture works that were created with mulitcoloured mosaic tiles in Güell park in Spain. Now let compare this with the sculpture in Merlion Walk below.

Merlion Walk, Singapore








While this walk may or may not satisfied my guided tour for the rest of the family member. It pleased me. The privilege of being a blind man's cane of stumbling into this hidden - literally - from view.

While you see individual creatures such as serpents, blowholes, starfishes, and whatnots, but all these creatures are part of a whole of a gigantic fanciful sea creature; some shape akin to a seahorse or half-slug with antennae, half-jellyfish, if you can view it from high up.



No comments:

Post a Comment