Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Prague Day 4: Mystic Temple Thai Massage Review

Mystic Temple
Washingtonova 1599/17, 110 00 Praha 1
enterance: Politických vězňů 1599/25

It was time to put my body into the repair shop for a tune-up, or had my battery recharged, or whatever mechanic analogy that takes your fancy. To me, a message is an ongoing therapy, and a massage shop is a clinic. So I tend to go to no-frills massage shops back in Singapore or Sydney to save money. Since Ada was accompanying me, only a day spa would do.

What Ada liked about this place was their happy hour discount (except for a psych ward warden, who doesn't like happy hour?). It's 40% off between Monday to Thursday before 3 pm. My visit to Siam Spa was unplanned (it was an emergency due to my "flat" legs, using more car mechanic analogy), but we had a time-slot planned in our itinerary for Mystic Temple. We slotted it into the happy hour to save some money.

Nationl Museum, Prague, Czech republic
National Museum

 The Place 
Location:  Only a few minutes walk from the imposing National Museum, Prague.

The Vibe:  While it's located only mins walk from the National Museum, it's a quiet neigbourhood. At least, once we were inside, traffic noise gave way to soft background music.

Set-up:  This place calls itself Body Care Studio, that's a nicer description than body repair shop. Just a look at their website, and you get a pretty good idea that they're a high-end day spa. While it offers many different types of massages, cosmetic and other services that cater for the ladies, I had a feeling that Thai massage is their specialty.

This is also reflected by the Indochinese Hindu-Buddhist decor (that you can see on their website) as well as their business name. More importantly, their masseuses are Thai.


 The Massage 
We had some confusion what massage we actually ordered. This is the problem with some of these upscale day spa, they use too fancy a name to create an aura of exoticism. Like the menu in the Chinese restaurant with mysterious and colourful names, you aren't quite sure what you order.

A scan down the menu under Thai Massage, the customer is presented with mystifying sounding names like "Spirit of Siam" or "Dark Side of Moon" (sounds very naughty. Or very scary if you're conspiracy theorist. But I'm sure it's not).

After some study of the exotic names, and tried to match them to standard names that we accustomed to, we booked for 90 mins of  "Orient Premium", thinking that this is their equivalence of deep tissue massage.

After some clarification by the staff, because Orient Premium doesn't involve oil, which we wanted, we ended up getting the Queen's Park (sounds like a tourist destination). This turned out to be something quite close to what we expected.

My masseuse was too young to be an old hand. And she covered up the hole for the head on the massage bed, and asked me to lay my head on the side, which I find uncomfortable. So I take off half a point for a massage bed without the hole. And then Ada told me afterwards that the massage bed has a hole, and so I take off one point instead of half. And then I saw the Japanese toilet, so I add back the half a point.

Perhaps, to keep up with the theme of oriental mysticism, a Japanese toilet was installed (bonsai clashes with the overall decor). For those who aren't familiar, Japanese toilet is one of those contraption with a panel of buttons on the side that does everything for you except washing your face (I think it still can if you wish). The problem is trying to know what buttons do what (the instructions are in Japanese). I'm always afraid to touch the wrong button for fear that one of the them is an eject button. I hate ejection (especially a premature one).

Overall Score: 7.5 / 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment