Sunday, 12 October 2014

Prague Day 2: Siam Spa Thai Massage Review


Siam Spa
Na Poříčí 8, Praha 1
naproti OC Palladium

I didn't do any research about this place beforehand, nor intended to have a massage today. But I was so tired at the end of the day after a few days of walking, I was at the end of my tether (or rope for Yanks and Aussies). I was desperately needed a massage if I want to make use of my legs the next day. As we headed back to our hotel from Republic Square, we passed Siam Spa. It looked decent enough from the outside, so we decided to give it a try.


Republic Square, Prague, Czech republic
Republic Square

Palladium Mall, Prague, Czech republic
Palladium Mall

 The Place 
Location:  Conveniently located opposite Palladium Mall, and 2 minutes walk from Republic Square.

The Vibe:  Despite being located in the busy street of Na Poříčí, and only minutes walk from the crowded Republic Square that usually filled with street artists performing music, it's quiet enough. This is because the massage shop is located inside a lane runs off from the main street of Na Poříčí, shielding most of the traffic noise. Also because we were there at 8 pm, and so the city noise level is much lower anyway.

Set-up:  This is no doubt an upscaled day spa set-up (the word "Spa" in the name indicates it). Although not at the highest end, but it still a reasonable tasteful typical Thai Hindu-Buddhist decor with soft background music. Personally, I don't care too much about that. But Ada does.


 The Massage 
I ordered a 90 mins deep tissue massage while Ada ordered a 90 mins aroma oil message.  We were led to different rooms because the aroma oil massage was done on a mattress on the floor while deep tissue was done on a standard message bed with the hole for the head. I'm much prefer the standard table with my head placed in the hole in forward position and my arms dangled over the bed. I don't find any other posture comfortable.

Her strength wasn't quite as hard as I would like (but then few masseuses measure up to my standard). To most people, her massage should be firm enough (if you prefer strong massage. Some - those who want relaxation rather than therapy - would probably prefer softer massage).

The massage is a standard deep tissue massage that I expect anywhere (I find the massage increasingly standardised over the last few decades). In the last 5 or so minutes, some traditional Thai massage were applied - something that involved pulling of arms, arching of back, etc (to me traditional Thai massage feels more like a chiropractor's adjustment than a massage. Joints, rather than muscles, are being worked on). The standard massage bed isn't equipped for FULL traditional Thai massage anyway. It's too dangerous. Traditional Thai massage is usually carried out on the floor with or without a thin mattress.


Overall Score: 8 / 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment