Friday, 10 October 2014

Cologne Day 2: Chocolate Museum


I tossed between visiting the Fragrance Museum or Chocolate Museum (Schokoladenmuseum )in Cologne. Time constrain made me choose between the 2. I have a choice of making a rational decision or flipping a coin (works just as well with a banknote). More choices to make. I chose the hard way. The price of (apparent) free choices is the slavery of everlasting (delusional) evaluation.

The term "Eau-de-cologne" comes from this city. It would be the right place to learn about its history. And go to the museum's toilet to smell its Eau-de-toilette (ok, this joke stinks).  On the other hand, I'm a fan of chocolate, and not Eau-de-cologne. The fragrance is likely giving me headache, and attracting flies instead of women (I think sweat repels flies, and so covering them up would do the opposite, one would theorize).

Chocolate Museum, Cologne, Gemany
Chocolate Museum with Lindt chocolate factory on top levels 

View from Chocolate Museum, Cologne, Gemany
View from the island of Chocolate Museum

Lindt Chocolate in both English and German packaging
My favourite after dinner dark chocolate with the good aount of bitterness.
Do I need any more proof that English is shorter than German language ?
I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm a chocoholic. But I have been a loyal consumer of Lindt dark chocolate for years. As it turned out, this museum has a close association with Lindt, and so I could buy the identical chocolate I've been eating, but packaged in original German. What chocolate lover wouldn't want that? I'm only human.

The Chocolate Museum informed me that the Germans are the biggest producers and eaters of chocolates. We had only been in Germany for 2 days, and we were given free chocolate twice. The 1st time in the ICE train from Frankfurt to Cologne (not surprisingly the chocolate was made by Lindt). The 2nd time when we entered this place.






Chocolate Museum entry ticket, Cologne, Germany
Chocolate Museum entry ticket
 Your kids would appreciate this museum over the Fragrance Museum. They get to see the robot arm working in the Lindt "showroom" chocolate factory (what kids wouldn't like robot arms?). And the chocolate souvenir shop would let you buy every imaginable chocolate products made by Lindt, and one that's identical to the ones I've been eating, but printed in German. Oh, Did I mention that one already?

Lindt Chocolate, Chocolate Museum, Cologne, Germany
Novelty chocolate sold in the shop.
Do you have a sweet tooth? Would this chocolate good for your teeth?
Don't put it into a glass of water, eat it!


















Lindt Chocolate, Chocolate Museum, Cologne, Germany
Don't know what to do with them. Eat them or wear them. They look too good to eat.
Only wear them if you have cold feet, otherwise they melt in  your feet. They're not M&M.


Chocolate ingredients or filling
You can order your personal chocolate with filling or ingredients of your choosing.
But it's a 35 mins wait

Artist paints pictures using chocolate as paint, Chocolate Museum, Cologne
Artist painted portrait using chocolate.
Food for thought: Is it a tasteful or tasty work of art?

These paintings are delicious, but would they attract ants that want to eat her arts?



Another reason why I chose to go there was because this was very much the southern end of the Old Town  (Altstadt) of Cologne. It was a logical place to either start or end our tour of the Old Town. We started our 2nd day of touring here. Instead of the usual Hop-On Hop-Off bus, we used the local offering Schoko-Zoo-Express that looks like Thomas the Tank Engine (without the face of Thomas). It saved some leg works.


Schoko O. Zoo Express ticket, Cologne, Germany
As indicated by the ticket, it has 3 stops.
The 2 notches indicated that I alight at Dom and Museum.

Schoko O. Zoo Express, Cologne, Germany


After the visit, I had a nice flammkuchen and "hot dog" for lunch at Hafenterrasse here.



No comments:

Post a Comment