Monday, 10 September 2007

Yi Yi (2000)

The movie starts with a wedding where the bride is pregnant with a new life, and ends in a funeral. So the movie show the slice of life for the different family members of different age from the primary pupil to grandma, and their daily struggles between the wedding and funeral. The young boy deals with school bully (including the teacher), the older girl with friendship and dating, the wife with mid life crisis, and the husband with career and his old flame. Boohoo, the struggle of the middle class! It's saying money can't buy happiness. Money certainly can't bring meaning to your life (unless you give lots of it away then the act itself gives meaning). It's better off to have some money, then we can have the luxury in dealing such thing as existential angst and whatnot. A very nice position to have.

For those who hasn't seen the film, this movie poster (I hope they don't change it) shows the back of Yang Yang, a kid studies in primary school. Yang Yang likes to take photos, and especially the backs of people so he can show people what their backs look to them. The movie has a lots of symbolism like this. When you look into a mirror, you don't see your back, that's why the barber hold up a mirror to show you the back of your heads. Thus, the idea of reflections also frequently shows up in the film with various surface reflections of mirrors of apartments, cars, etc. Talking to grandma while she's in coma is also another form of reflections - hearing your voice echoing back to you. It's acoustic instead of light reflections.

The eulogy given by Yang Yang at the end is too wise for his age, but then, kids are usually much wiser than adults as we're too bogged down with too much complicated details and forget about the basics. A rubber balloon is something Yang Yang used to fill air or water with while adults insist on calling it 'condom'.

I can't say I particularly enthralled by this movie as its focus is too diffused for me. There's nothing wrong with this, just not my most favourite genre. But I don't dislike it, or else I wouldn't put it in this list. Artistically it's a great movie; emotionally it just doesn't ring my bell. It's like looking at modern abstract arts, it has lots to think about. It connects to me cerebral. Call me old fashioned, Picasso and Rembrandt connects to me much more viscerally. That's what I like in a movie. If I'm a boxer, I'll say, 'Aim for my guts, not my head'

No comments:

Post a Comment