Sunday, 2 September 2007

The Days of Being Dumb (1992)

Emglish title: The Days of Being Dumb.
Chinese title: Ah Fei & Ah Gey (Fred & Keith)

This story about the dumb and dumber duo, but you can't accuse them for copying Dumb and Dumber (1994) as this comedy predated it by 2 years.

The Days of Being Dumb (1992)Both the Chinese and English titles suggest that this is a spoof film that parodies The Days of Being Wild (1990). Actually, it isn't.

The 2 stories doesn't share anything in common. If anything, it's a send up of WKW's early, and his 1st film As Tears Go By. But I think it's just a spoof film for the gangster genre in general.

What I didn't expect was how much aerobic and abs workout this comedy brought me. It was surprising because I had seen this about 10 years ago when it came out. And as we age, it takes more to make us laugh (takes longer to warm up, so to speak). But I laughed at it harder than my 1st viewing. This could only be explained that the better the understanding of the gangster genre, the funny the parody gets (as it should).

On the other hand, if you aren't familiar with the HK gangster genre, you probably wouldn't get it. And without the laughter in the background as in American TV sitcoms, you have no guidance as to when to laugh (everyone needs a helping mouth from time to time). Maybe you should invite a few HK friends who are into this genre to get that "this film is being watched in front of a live audience" feel. And you could laugh along with them to avoid looking as dumb as our 2 main characters.

Actually they aren't dumb as all. They're in fact very smart - street smart, that is. Not book smart. You could tell, they aren't wearing no glasses  (can I say that? Am I in trouble for saying that?).

I just love the kid who played young Fred (can I say that? Am I in trouble for saying that?).

The handsome Anita Yuen (can I say that? Am I in trouble for saying that?) won an award in the Best New Performer category. I assume then that this was her maiden voyage on the silver screen (can I say that? Am I in trouble for saying that?)

No comments:

Post a Comment